Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Water, water, everywhere

I have reached a most important parenting milestone. For me it has been the holy grail for a long time now, a sign that the worst of the anxious "must-keep-an-eye-on-them-every-minute" toddler times might actually give way to a more normal existence. I am finally able to have a decent morning shower. So what you say?

Well first some background. I grew up in a time (the not so eco conscious 80's) and place (sunny Sydney) where I had access to unlimited hot water. So showers twice a day (more in summer) were normal and staying in for 1/2 an hour or so not unusual. Singing A-Ha in my highest (out of tune) register, contemplating boys and school and most importantly making the most of MY time when my numerous siblings were already out. It was a daily ritual that cemented my love of things warm and aqueous.

So imagine my shock when I realised that shower times might need to be dictated by baby's sleep patterns. Having a furious hair wash in the middle-of-the day-nap-time or quick rinse at midnight is just not the same. Trying to shave my legs with one ear listening out for the crying that mysteriously only happened mid-lather, not fun (and dangerous). Stepping out five times dripping wet cause I'm sure I heard distressed wailing, not worth the hassle. Getting up before them didn't work cause it just woke them up in a panic. The worse stage is when baby sits but falls over, crawls but into walls, stands but can't sit back down, walks but not well. Or clings to you for dear life, opens every drawer possible, finds every possible choking hazard and you literally have a hand on them 24/7, or so it seems. With 2 under 2 that stage seems to drag on forever.

But finally this morning I put their favourite show on the TV, gave them a snack, told the big one to keep on eye on the little one and stepped cautiously into the shower. No wails of "mummy, mummy, don't go!" (yes they do think 5 minutes in the bathroom is abandonment). Nobody ran in crying cause one fell off the couch, snatched a toy or spilled milk. Nobody got their hand stuck in a drawer or had an accident on the rug. No crayon graffiti appeared on the walls. I actually got to lather up, wash my hair and shave. Just me, lovely warm water and a bad version of "Take on me".  Pure bliss.

0 comments:

Post a Comment